If I could pick one single thing I’ve done in the last four years to improve my life, it would be taking Claudia out on our first date, the gym. If I could pick a second thing, it would be starting this blog.
I mainly consider this blog a hobby and a way for me to help others become entrepreneurs, but it has turned into a side business as well over the last few months.
If you don’t have a side business (whether it’s a blog, lawn mowing service, tech support for old people or a lemonade stand) then here are my top reasons why you need to get started today! If you love the health and fitness industry and would like to follow a proven blueprint then see here.
1. Your Side Business Might Become Your Main Business – Wouldn’t it be nice to stop working for “the man” and start working for yourself? A side business might start as a hobby but could turn into a full fledged career where you set your own hours, choose who you want to work with, and answer to no one but yourself.
2. Impress the Ladies – Your chatting up a pretty lady at the bar. What sounds more interesting: Entry Level Business Analyst or Entrepreneur? Just make sure you have a business card or something that proves you are legit. Otherwise, girls will hear “entrepreneur” and think “unemployed”.
3. Additional Skills Make You More Valuable – No matter what side business you start, you’re going to learn something. Whatever skills you learn could very well help you get a raise, promotion, or even your next full-time job.
4. Watching TV is BORING – Seriously. Your brain is sick of consuming visual and audio content. It wants to create something. A business, a website, a painting, something! Bonus: if you create something awesome, you can make money off it.
5. Play Money is Fun to Play With – Extra money means you have the ability to do extra stuff. You could do something responsible like invest it, or you could take your extra “play money” and play with it. Vacations and toys (electronics/tools for men and shoes for women) are a lot more fun when you don’t feel guilty for spending money on them.
6. Diversification of Income – If I lost my day job today I’d still be making some income through trading or this website. We diversify investments all the time to mitigate risk; why not diversify income for the same reason?
If you have a side business, is there a reason you would add to this list and why it would be awesome?